Paradižot is a firm favourite in Dubrovnik, and is a simple mix of butter biscuits, cream, sugar and milk — think a chilled and fluffy custard. For Marija Papak, it’s the perfect way to end a meal.
Takes: 20 mins (plus 2 hours chilling time)
200g buttery biscuits, such as shortbread
6 eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 ltr whole milk
6 tsp caster sugar
grated dark chocolate, for sprinkling
1. Break the biscuits into small chunks and place in a serving dish. Set aside until later.
2. In a bowl, combine the egg whites and vanilla sugar. Beat by hand or with an electric whisk to stiff peaks.
3. Heat the milk in a pan over a low heat, then slowly stir in the egg white mixture until cooked (about 3-5 mins).
4. Pour the egg white mixture over the broken biscuits and gently stir.
5. Whisk the egg yolks until smooth, then pour into a clean pan and slowly cook over a low heat, gradually adding the caster sugar until the mixture thickens.
6. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the serving bowl with the biscuits and egg whites, mixing as you go. Sprinkle generously with grated chocolate; chill for 1-2hrs before serving.