Do you want to write for National Geographic Traveller (UK)? Have a way with words and an eye for a story? Find yourself scribbling notes when travelling? Or are you perhaps a budding blogger?
If you think you have what it takes to write for us, enter our annual Travel Writing Competition. Your work could appear in National Geographic Traveller (UK) and you could win a place on a 10-day polar expedition to Greenland with Quark Expeditions.
If you’re ready to transform your love of writing into a career and see your work published in one of the UK’s most prestigious travel magazines, our
Travel Writing Competition 2017 could be your fortuitous foot in the door.
The winner will see their piece published in the magazine and online at natgeotraveller.co.uk, ensuring major exposure. This is the perfect opportunity for a writer with a sense of adventure who’s hoping to expand their career through one of the UK’s most successful travel magazines.
Plus, you’ll join the 10-day Arctic Express: Greenland’s Northern Lights polar expedition with Quark Expeditions, worth £13,000. You’ll witness the world’s largest fjord system of Scoresby Sund, discover the fascinating Inuit settlements and people of Ittoqqortoormiit, and have the possibility of viewing some of the world’s most vivid displays of the Northern Lights.
You’ll also have the chance to trek along the tundra, climb mountains and watch grazing musk ox and other arctic wildlife on the horizon. The prize is for one person, and includes flights from Dublin or London. Expedition dates are 24 September to 3 October 2017 aboard the Ocean Nova. QuarkExpeditions.com
For your chance to be noticed, simply write 500 words on an inspirational travel experience. Keep your piece focused, capture the essence of the destination and ensure your writing has National Geographic Traveller (UK)’s defining features: immersive travel and authentic storytelling.
Looking for inspiration? Check out our top 10 travel writing tips.
Deadline: 23:59 (GMT) on 15 May 2017
Terms & Conditions
There is one overall prize consisting of one place on Quark Expeditions’ 10-day Arctic Express: Greenland’s Northern Lights (Fly North, Fly South) itinerary. Expedition dates are Sep 24 – Oct 3, 2017, aboard the Ocean Nova. There are no runner-up prizes
The prize includes:
• Direct return flights from the UK to Reykjavik
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
• All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board
• All shore landings per the daily program
• Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
• All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
• Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled
• Photographic journal documenting the expedition
• Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
• Official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
• Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
• Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin
• Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• All luggage handling aboard the ship
• Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
• Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax
• One night’s pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Reykjavik with breakfast
• Group transfer from Reykjavik hotel to domestic airport on embarkation day
• Charter flight from Reykjavik to Constable Point on embarkation day
• Group transfers to and from ship
• Charter flight from Constable Point to Reykjavik domestic airport on disembarkation day
• Group transfer from domestic airport to Reykjavik hotel
• One night’s post-expedition hotel accommodation in Reykjavik with breakfast
• One complimentary Adventure Option. Currently available adventure options can be found here – http://read.uberflip.com/i/762843-adventure-options-november-2016-new
The prize does not include:
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Optional kayaking activities
• Arrival and departure transfers between Reykjavik international airport and hotel on arrival and departure days
• Travel arrangements between the prize winner’s place of residence and the UK departure airport
Winners must ensure that they have valid passports, visas, travel insurance and any relevant vaccinations at the time of travel. Winner must make their own arrangements for travel to and from the departure airport. No responsibility will be taken if the winner is unable to travel due to insufficient documentation.
The prize is valid only for the specified expedition date of Sep 24 – Oct 3, 2017.
The prize is non-negotiable, non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash or substituted for other benefits. The prize is subject to availability. No purchase necessary for entry. Quark Expeditions reserve the right to substitute the prize for another of similar value should the specified prize become unavailable. The winner must adhere fully to Quark Expeditions full terms and conditions, which can be viewed on their website: http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/en/terms-and-conditions
In the event of cancellation by winners, for whatever reason, no alternative need be given. Once bookings are confirmed they cannot be changed.
The direct flights return flights from the UK to Reykjavik will be booked at Quark Expeditions’ discretion, based upon the options available at the time.
Failure to claim the prize or other promotional item by the time or in the manner specified for the particular promotion will make any claim invalid.
Entrants agree to permit National Geographic Traveller (UK) to publish the winning and runner-up entries in the magazine, on the National Geographic Traveller (UK) website and on the National Geographic Traveller (UK) social media channels. The winning and runner-up entries may also be used by National Geographic Traveller (UK) and the competition sponsors in promotional material relating to the competition. Winners must co-operate fully for publicity purposes if so required. Entries submitted must be original work and must not have been entered into any other writing competition, or been published in any other publication or website. Entrants must own the copyright to any work entered. Entrants will retain copyright to their work.
The prize draw is open to residents of the UK or Republic of Ireland aged 18 and over. No purchase necessary. Competition closes 15 May 2017 at 11.59pm GMT.
The competition will be judged by National Geographic Traveller (UK) editorial director, Maria Pieri, and editor, Pat Riddell. The judges' decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
The competition is not open to employees or associates of APL Media Limited, Quark Expeditions or anyone connected with the competition, or their families. Only one entry per named entrant and email address will be accepted. The promoter is APL Media Limited, Highgate Studios, 53-79 Highgate Road, London NW5 1TL. Usual terms and conditions apply. For details visit natgeotraveller.co.uk/terms-conditions/#competition
Competition is already closed.